Monday, May 28, 2012

Cornbread Escapades

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!

This past weekend, my two best friends and I had a sleepover. They came over Friday around dinnertime, and instead of going out, Christy and I made dinner to repay Caitlyn for the time she made it for us. Our plan was quite simple: chicken, and corn. However, seeing as the three of us LOVE bread more than almost anything else, our dinner plans were not yet complete without something heavenly and full of carbs. Christy and I had the perfect solution:

Cornbread.

After looking online, we were torn between two cornbread recipes. What were we to do but make both of them and see what we liked better!

We decided on two recipes: Yogurt Cornbread and Buttery Cornbread.



Yogurt Cornbread:

1 ½ cups cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup maple syrup or honey (we opted for honey)
3 large eggs.

1.     Heat oven to 375F. Grease and flour a 9 inch round baking pan.
2.     In a large bowl, combine the meal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
3.     In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, butter, honey, and eggs. Combine the two  mixtures and stir until blended. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
4.     Bake for 25 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.

  As much as this sounds like it would be a moist bread with the yogurt and the honey, this was the drier of the two:



As you can see, the bread is quite dry--which is how cornbread is actually supposed to be. However, it was not as sweet as we had hoped, even though we used honey. It did turn out to be this gorgeous honey color, but it did not taste like we had hoped. If I were to make this again, I would probably double the honey it asks for, but I'm not sure I'll be using this recipe again because it did not make it as leftovers! I brought it to my mom's for a party after wrapping it up to keep it, but my dad said, "I haven't eaten anything this dry since sand." And he was right! Just that 24 hours made all the difference in the world and it basically turned into sand paper. =/ I like recipes I can eat and enjoy multiple days in a row, which was not the case with this cornbread.

However, the second recipe turned out to be fabulous:

Buttery Corn Bread
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 2/3 cups milk
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt.

1.     In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
2.     Combine the eggs and milk separately.
3.     Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt separately.
4.     Add these to the creamed mixture alternately with egg mixture.
5.     Pour into a greased 12 in x 9 in baking pan. Bake at 400 F for 22-27 minutes.





I could barely get any photos of this because we all devoured it! It came out very fluffy and soft, and actually very moist! This would be a great recipe for anyone who is interested in moist cornbread. I have added this recipe to my recipe box and will most definitely make it again. I tried it 24 hours later to see how it kept and it was just as moist as the night before. :D We were very pleased.

And satisfied. It was like slipping into a cornbread coma :D



No comments:

Post a Comment