Saturday, March 3, 2012

Open Thread: Re-Baking Childhood Memories


How many of you, maybe coming home from college on the weekends, or visiting a grandparent's house for dinner, have walked into the front door and confronted a smell that automatically takes you on a magic carpet ride? Maybe it's garlic, cayenne pepper, or even chocolate chip cookies, but all of a sudden you are seven years old again and all you have to worry about is multiplication homework and your younger sister stealing your clothes; the hardest decision you have to make is whether or not to watch cartoons after dinner or a movie.

Those days were simple.

But now we have bills, midterms, jobs, roommates, and more responsibilities than we knew existed at that sweet, innocent age. I know that when I come home from a stressful day of tutoring and school, I crave the favorite dinners or desserts my mom or my mom-mom made when I was younger: chicken with mushrooms, roast beef, monkey bread, and meat stuffing. They are my comfort food.

There's one food that transports me back faster than any other.

Pizza Fritta.

Ever since I was a child, donuts and the fried dough at the pizza shops couldn't cut it. The donuts tasted stale and too sweet, while the fried dough was often hard and too sticky. Pizza fritta, on the other hand, comes out of the oil crispy and crunchy on the outside, but soft and fluffy in the middle. Dipped in powdered sugar or white sugar, they are the perfect combination of sweet, warm and fulfilling. We ate these for dinner, or breakfast or lunch; they were a meal unto themselves.

Sometimes I come home on the weekend my mom has the dough rising in a pot on the counter. When we cook them, we often cut the dough into shapes and the kitchen fills with the smell of oil. One bite and I'm ten years old again, sleeping over at mom-mom and pop-pops, frustrated by the thirteen-times tables.

Sometimes I wish life was that simple again.

Sometimes I realize all I need is a little taste of my childhood.

Now you know the one food I cherish and still love from my childhood. Now I want you to tell me about the food that takes you back to your innocent years, a food you miss or a food your parents surprise you with on the weekends. Tell us a story. And if you can, leave the recipe so I can add it to my recipe collection: it can be a dessert, a snack or even an entree.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to seeing your responses!

4 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you! I'm a sucker for my mom's mac'n'cheese, carrot mashed potatoes and porcupine balls (which are basically meatballs with rice in them). Carbs make everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is sort of similar to yours-- my great-grandmother's pizza recipe! My Nana would make it for me and my brother as kids when we would go to visit and it was my favorite thing ever. Still is. In fact, my mom taught me how to make it a few years ago and now it's all I do! I love experimenting with new pizzas but my favorite is always going to be a regular cheese pizza, made from scratch. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. growing up, my mother was never the greatest cook, but a few things she makes always has me wanting more. My favoirte is her stuffed mushrooms. We only ever have them once a year, on my birthday, but its always worth the year of waiting. It's a simple dish, just chop meat, onions, rice, and mozerella cheese, and I guess some spices backed into a pepper. Simple, but it always puts a smile on my face. Alnother big thing is holiday food. I always love the smell of my mema and pepa's (my grandparents) house on holidays. We always have our family staples, mashed potatoes, creamed onions, deviled eggs, kabalsi and sour kraut (sorry I'm probubly missplelling stuff). olives, pickles, stuffing. Recently our holidays have gotten a bit tame, but when I was younger my Pepa (Grandpa) was a hunter and he still is the captain of an ocean fishing boat, so we've had venison and duck on our holiday table, once we even had shark, it wasnt my favorite but it was what my family did, and I love the memories from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so hard for me to pick one dish that is my favorite because my dad is an amazing cook and I am spoiled every night when he cooks. I just moved back home for my senior year after living in west chester since my freshman year and I definitely think I've gained a few pounds from all the wonderful food he makes! It's like ordering fast food, he'll make whatever I want minus it's a lot healthier and it takes a little longer. I absolutely love how he prepares broccoli. Instead of the steamed broccoli so many of us are use to he stir frys it in a special sauce he created (i think it's something like soy sauce, chicken bullion, parmesan cheese and a few other ingredients). I fell in love with vegetables all over again when my dad starting getting creative in the kitchen. he also makes the best stir fry that I ask for on special occasions (like my birthday :). The only problem is I wish I liked cooking as much as he does because I'm going to be really disappointed when the day comes that I have to move out again and fend for myself when it comes to food.

    ReplyDelete